Kell, Thomas, [Printer's specimen album of stage-proofs in the printing of a portrait after William Powell Frith], [187-?]
- [Printer's specimen album of stage-proofs in the printing of a portrait after William Powell Frith].
- [London : Printed by Thomas Kell, King Street, Covent Garden], [187-?].
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : all ill. (some col.) ; 47 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 110Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Progressive proofs reproducing William Powell Frith's painting of Dolly Varden, from Charles Dickens' historical novel Barnaby Rudge. Frith's portrayal of Varden is described in entry 127 of Christie's catalog 5445 (8 May 2008).
Kell's autograph on end papers; his address added by a later hand.
Album consists of key plate, 17 color pulls from each of the lithgographic stones & 17 progressive stage-proofs, ending with the finished portrait. Portrait lithographed by C. Risdon; after William Powell Frith.
Kell (according to Kelly's Directory) was both a draftsman & chromolithographer. First worked in partnership with his brother, then by himself on King Street, from 1874.
- Subject Terms:
- Chromolithography -- Technique.Color printing -- Technique.Kell, Thomas -- Printer.Lithography -- Technique.Varden, Dolly (Fictitious character) -- In art.
- Chromolithographs -- [187-?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.