Thomason, Edward, Sir, 1769-1849, Enamelled impressions struck off from the splendid series of medal dies , [183-]
- Enamelled impressions struck off from the splendid series of medal dies : illustrative of the Holy Scriptures / engraved by British artists in the employ of the author, Sir Edward Thomason, of Birmingham, ... ; the allegory of the medals is embodied from the productions of Domenichino, Raphael, Carracci, Leonardo da Vinci ... &c. &c.
- [Birmingham : E. Thomason], [183-]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. in 1 (;  leaves) ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCJ5793 B5 T5+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Two vols. bound together, mounted in wooden framework that closes to form box shaped like a book (as issued?)
"The author has had the honour to present to His Most Gracious Majesty William the Fourth, at the levee, the first series from the dies, in massive pure silver, which His Majesty was most graciously pleased to accept."
In 1830 Thomason completed a series of 60 silver medals on Biblical subjects from paintings by old masters, & presented them to all the sovereigns in Europe. This work consists of enamel impressions of the obverses of those 60 medals. The reverses, which contained an explanation of the Biblical scene, are enlarged & reproduced in letterpress.
Thomason was knighted by William IV in 1832 and the King died in 1837, so this publication probably dates from 1832-1837.
Spine title: Thomason's medallic Bible.
List of old masters from whom Thomason engraved the medals mounted on inside front & back cover of box.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible -- Illustrations.Bookbinding -- Specimens -- [183-].Medals.Thomason, Edward -- Publisher.Woodcut, Colored -- Specimens -- [183-].
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.