Grüner, Ludwig, 1801-1882, Fresco decorations and stuccoes of churches and palaces in Italy , 1854
- Fresco decorations and stuccoes of churches and palaces in Italy : during the fifteenth & sixteenth centuries / with descriptions by Lewis Gruner ...
- New edition, largely augmented by numerous plates, plain & coloured.
- London : Thomas McLean, 1854.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 56 leaves of plates (some folded) : chiefly ill. (some col.), plans ; 58 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 116Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC,RB: This copy has the Description of the plates of Fresco decorations ...and the essay by Hittorff bound in, inlaid to size. Bookseller suggests that this copy is a proof impression, though it's not mentioned as such in the work.
BAC,RB: Hand-bound in gold-stamped dark blue morocco, stamped M.M. Holloway on verso of front free endpaper.
Plates by G. Biaggi, D, Ascani, Georg Wagner, and others; after Baldassare Peruzzi, Thürmer and Gutensohn, E. Salandri, Friedrich Lose, Benedetto Pistrucci, and others.
MUDD JJt31 20g: 63 cm.
Includes list of plates.
Inscriptions on plates in French and German.
Brunet describes this edition, with 56 plates, accompanied by a text (4to) containing the description of plates and an essay by J.J. Hitteroff on the arabesques of the encients compared with those of Raphael and his school. According to an announcement, 150 copies were to have been printed.
Brunet, v.2, p. 1770.
- Subject Terms:
- Arabesques.Decoration and ornament -- Italy.Etching -- Specimens -- 1854.Holloway, M. M. -- Bookbinder.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1854.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Mural painting and decoration, Italian.Stucco.Tweedmouth, Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, Baron, 1820-1894 -- Bookplate.
- Chromolithographs -- 1854.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.