Holmes's Great metropolis : or, Views and history of London in the nineteenth century. Being a grand national exhibition of the British capital. With historical and topographical notices of each place / Ed. by William Gray Fearnside, esq., and Thomas Harrel [!] ...
- London : T. Holmes, [1851?]
- Physical Description:
- 3 p.., 211 p. 34 pl. incl. front. 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA678 F3 1851 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA678 F3 1851 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Some plates engraved by Joseph Clayton Bentley, Boyd and Cannavan, J. Henshall, W. Henshall, Charles Mottram, J.C. Varrall, and John Woods after designs by Joseph William Allen, Hablot Knight Browne, Robert Garland, Charles Marshall, Joseph Kenny Meadows, J. Salmon, and J.H. Shepherd.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Text is identical, but copy 2 has 11 plates different from copy 1. Imprint of added engraved t.p. has been erased.
Copy 1, bound in gold-stamped blue publisher's cloth, has autograph of S.A. Walker.
Copy 2, bound in green cloth with same design, has bookplate of George Oliver & presentation inscription to F.S. Walker from Royston House.
Added t.-p., engraved: Holme's [!] Views in London, Westminster and their vicinities. London : W.S. Orr & Co.
Published in 1838 as The history of London, ed. by Fearnside and Harral.
- Subject Terms:
- Holmes, Thomas -- Publisher.London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- History.Oliver, George -- Bookplate.Orr (W. S.) & Co. -- Publisher.Royston House -- Prize award to F.S. Walker, 1853.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- [1851?].Walker, F. S. -- Prize award from Royston House, 1853.Walker, S. A. -- Autograph.
YCBA Collections Search
Fearnside, W. G. (William Gray), Holmes's Great metropolis , [1851?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.