The military antiquities of the Romans in Britain. By the late William Roy ... Published by the order, and at the expence of, the Society of antiquaries of London.
- London, Printed by W. Bulmer and co., 1793.
- Physical Description:
- 5 p.., xvi, 206,  p. 3 pl., 3 maps, 44 plans (part fold.) tab. 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 45View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Plates by James Basire and John Cheevers; after Joseph Farington.
Appendix no. IV: Observations by Mr. Anderson, professor of natural philosophy in the University of Glasgow, upon the Roman antiquities lately discovered between the Forth and the Clyde: p. 200-204.
Added t.-p.: The military antiquities of the Romans in North Britain, and particularly their ancient system of castrametation, illustrated from vestiges of the camps of Agricola existing there ... Comprehending also a treatise, wherein the ancient geography of that part of the island is rectified, chiefly from the lights furnished by Richard of Cirenchester. Together with a description of the wall of Antoninus Pius, commonly called Grime's dyke. To which is added, an appendix, containing detached pieces. The whole being accompanied with maps of the country, and plans of the camps and stations, &c.
Appendix no. IV also published separately under title: Observations upon Roman antiquities / by the late John Anderson. Edinburgh : Printed by Andrew Foulis, 1800.
- Subject Terms:
- Bulmer (W.) and Co. -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1793.Excavations (Archaeology) -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Antiquities, Roman.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate.Romans -- Great Britain -- Antiquities.
YCBA Collections Search
Roy, William, 1726-1790, The military antiquities of the Romans in Britain, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.