A book of the habits, customes, and manners of diverse nations : as also the prospects of cityes, townes, temples and others structures in severall parts of the world / collected by John Seller, Senr., and are sold by him at the Hermitage in Wapping.
- [London] : J. Seller, [169-?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves (some folded) : all ill. ; 16 x 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG120 B66Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Plates engraved by Wenceslaus Hollar, Michael Van der Gucht, Samuel Moore, and John Oliver; one by and after James Millerd.
Ms. index ( p.) bound in at front. Pagination in ms.
John Seller called himself "Senior" from 1691.--cf. Plomer, H.R. Dictionary of the printers and booksellers ... from 1668-1725, p. 266.
Consists of town plans and views, mostly of places in the Ottoman Empire, but there are views of China, one of Africa, and plans of London, Bristol, Chester, several other European cities, and New York. Also includes several plates of Ottoman costume.
- Subject Terms:
- Bristol (England) -- Maps.Chester (England) -- Maps.Clothing and dress -- Turkey -- History -- 17th century.Geography -- Early works to 1800.London (England) -- Maps.Seller, John -- Publisher.Turkey -- Historical geography -- Maps.Turkey -- History -- Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918 -- Maps.
- Etchings -- [169-?].
Engravings -- [169-?].
YCBA Collections Search
A book of the habits, customes, and manners of diverse nations , [169-?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.