The artist's vade mecum : being the whole art of drawing taught in a new work : elegantly engraved on one hundred folio copper plates : containing great variety of examples in every branch of that noble art : as parts of the face, heads, hands, feet, academy, antiques, and groups of figures, beasts, birds, insects, flowers, fruit, shells, ornaments, buildings, landscapes ... / collected from the works of the greatest masters ; to which is prefixed an essay on drawing ; with introductory rules for the use of learners ; in which the first principles of that useful and noble art are explained in such manner that it may be attained in a short time without a master.
- London : ... Sold by R. Sayer, at the Golden-Buck, in Fleet-Street, 1762.
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC735 A7 1762+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates by Simon François Ravenet, Timothy Roberts, H. Stevens, John June, Peter Paul Benazech, C.H. Hemmerich, J. Couse, Henry Roberts, James Roberts; after George Bickham, Anthony Walker, Elliott, Peter Tillemans, C. Fenn, August Johann Rösel von Rosenhof, Jean Pillement, Chat, and Jean Baptiste Chatelain.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary quarter leather and marbled boards. A variety of grass specimens, laid in, are removed to an accompanying folder.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1762.Etching -- Specimens -- 1762.Sayer, R. -- Publisher.
- Drawing books.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.