The artist's vade-mecum : being the whole art of drawing taught in a new work : elegantly engraved on one hundred folio copper plates : containing great variety of examples in every branch of that noble art : as parts of the face, heads, hands, feet, academy, antiques, and groups of figures, beasts, birds, insects, flowers, fruit, shells, ornaments, buildings, landscapes ... / collected from the works of the greatest masters ; to which is prefixed an essay on drawing ; with introductory rules for the use of learners ; in which the first principles of that useful and noble art are explained in such manner that it may be attained in a short time without a master.
- The third edition, with considerable additions.
- London : ... Sold by R. Sayer and J. Bennett, map and print sellers, at No. 53, Fleet-street, 1776 [i.e. 177-?]
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC735 A7 1776+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates by Timothy Roberts, Simon François Ravenet, C.H. Hemerich, Paul Sandby, H. Roberts, and Jean Baptiste Claude Chatelain; after William Hogarth, Peter Tillemans, August Johann Rösel von Rosenhof, Jean Pillement, F. Cleverley, Paul Sandby, and Jean Baptiste Claude Chatelain.
Advertisements: "New drawing-books printed for R. Sayer and J. Bennett, map and print sellers, at the Golden Buck, Fleet-Street:" p.  (verso of t.p.)
Some plates with imprint: London : Printed for Robt. Sayer, Print and Map seller, opposite Fetter Lane, Fleet-Street. Some others have imprint: London : Printed for R. Sayer and J. Bennett, Map and Printsellers, No. 53, Fleet Street, and dated 1774-1777.
- Subject Terms:
- Bennett, J. -- Publisher.Brydges, Francis William Thomas, 1751-1793 -- Autograph, 1781, 1792.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1776.Etching -- Specimens -- 1776.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.Warner, Robert Henry Lee, 1823-1895 -- Bookplate.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.