The artist's vade mecum : being the whole art of drawing : a new work : elegantly engraved on eighty quarto copper plates : containing great variety of examples in every branch of that noble art : as parts of the face, heads, hands, feet, academy, antiques, and groups of figures, beasts, birds, insects, flowers, fruit, shells, landscapes ... / collected from the works of the greatest masters ; to which is prefixed an essay on drawing ; with introductory rules for the use of learners ; wherein the first principles of that useful and noble art are explained in such manner that it may be attained in a short time without a master.
- The fourth edition : with considerable improvements.
- London : ... Printed and sold by Robert Sayer, map, chart, and print-seller, No. 53, Fleet-Street, 1786.
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC650 B6 1786+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center copy is bound with: The draughtsmen's assistant / Carington Bowles. London : Robert Sayer, 1786.
Plates by John Peltro, H. Stevens, John June, and Paul Sandby; after Paul Sandby and C. Fenn.
Some plates have imprint: Published by Robert Sayer, No. 53, Fleet Street. Some others have imprint: Pub. by Sayer & Bennett.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1786.Etching -- Specimens -- 1786.Leaton, Anthony -- Bookplate.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.
- Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.