The draughtsmen's assistant, or, Drawing made easy : wherein the principles of that art are rendered familiar in instructive lessons comprised under the following heads : l. features and limbs, 2. profiles and ovals, 3. whole figures, 4. drapery, 5. light and shade, 6. landscapes, 7. perspective, 8. enlarging and contracting, 9. imitation of life : explained by a great variety of examples from the most approved designs on seventy-two copper-plates, neatly engraved : with a suitable introduction on the utility of this noble art and observations on design as well in regard to theory as practice / by the author of The artist's assistant.
- London : Printed ... by Robert Sayer, Map, chart and printseller, No. 53, Fleet Street, 1786.
- Physical Description:
- , 16 p.,  leaves of plates (one folded) : chiefly ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC650 B6 1786+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC : British Art Center copy is bound with: The artist's vade mecum. London : Robert Sayer, 1786.
Plates by Pierre Charles Ingouf, J.S. [i.e. John Spilsbury], Robert Pranker, M. Renoldson [i.e. Rennoldson], William Byrne, John Goldar, Robert Laurie, James Mason, John Pye, Robert Hancock, Edward Rooker, Smith, Ignace Fougeron, Antoine Benoist, John June, Henry Roberts, James Peake [i.e. Peak], and James Roberts; after Jean Baptiste Greuze, John Collet, John Cleveley, Johann Elias Ridinger, T. Collet, and James Roberts.
Earlier and later editions under titles: All draughtsmen's assistant and The draughtsman's assistant.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Leaton, Anthony -- BookplateSayer, Robert -- Publisher
- Handbooks and manuals.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1786.
Engraving -- 1786.
Etchings -- 1786.
Mezzotints -- 1786.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793, The draughtsmen's assistant, or, Drawing made easy , 1786
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.