All draughtsmen's assistant, or, Drawing made easy : wherein the principles of that art are rendered familiar in ten instructive lessons comprised under the following heads : l. features and limbs, 2. profiles and ovals, 3. whole figures, 4. drapery, 5. light and shade, 6. landscapes, 7. perspective, 8. enlarging and contracting, 9. imitation of life, 10. history : explained by a great variety of examples from the most approved designs on copper-plates, neatly engraved : with a suitable introduction on the utility of this noble art and observations on design as well in regard to theory as practise / by the author of The artist's assistant.
- London : Printed for R. Sayer and J. Bennett, map and print-sellers, (No. 53) Fleet-street, [177-?]
- Physical Description:
- , 16 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC650 B6 1770z+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Advertisements: "New drawing books printed for R. Sayer and J. Bennett:"  p. at front.
Plates by Pierre Charles Ingouf, William Byrne, Charles Grignion, William Smith, Ignace Fougeron, James Peake [i.e. Peak], and James Roberts; after Jean Baptiste Greuze, John Collet, William Smith, James Roberts, and John Cleveley.
Plates dated 1763-1776.
Later editions under titles: The draughtsmen's assistant and The draughtsman's assistant.
- Subject Terms:
- Bennett, J. -- Publisher.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- [177-?].Etching -- Specimens -- [177-?].Sayer, R. -- Publisher.Whateley, Margaret W. -- Autograph.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793, All draughtsmen's assistant, or, Drawing made easy , [177-?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.