A collection of emblematical figures : moral and instructive / chiefly composed from the Iconology of cavaliere Cesare Ripa, Perugino ; exhibiting the elements and celestial bodies, seasons and months of the years, hours of the day and night, quarters of the world, the principal rivers, the four ages, the muses, the senses, arts, sciences, dispositions of the mind, virtues and vices ; as represented by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and modern Italians ; containing upwards of four hundred human figures, engraved from original designs, with their explanations ; illustrated by variety of authorities from classical authors ; together with an introductory discourse on the science of iconology ; the whole collected and arranged by George Richardson ...
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed for the editor, 1777.
- Physical Description:
- , vii, 49 p., 24 leaves of plates : ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7740 R513 1777+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center copy is incomplete: Books 2-4 are wanting.
Plates by E. Malpas; after William Hamilton.
First edition in Italian published at Rome, 1593, without illustrations.
Other editions have title beginning: Iconology.
- Subject Terms:
- Carpenter, C. A. -- Bookbinder.Emblem books -- Specimens.Emblems.Etching -- Specimens -- 1777.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1777.
YCBA Collections Search
Ripa, Cesare, 1560-1645, A collection of emblematical figures , 1777
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.