Society of Dilettanti (London, England), Antiquities of Ionia,, 1769-1915
- Antiquities of Ionia, by the Society of dilettanti. [pt. 1]-5.
- London, [s.n.], 1769-1915.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. illus., plates, maps, plans, diagrs. 56 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 128Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 128Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Copy 2 belonged to Charles Robert Cockerell and has his ms. notes and original drawings bound in. Description of ms. material has been placed in the Object File.
BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Both are incomplete. Copy 1 is only pts. 1-2 and copy 2 is only pt. 1.
Plates engraved by Jacques Philippe Lebas, Francesco Bartolozzi, James Mason, James Basire, Tobias Miller [i.e. Müller], Thomas White, G. Sherlock, John Gwynn, William Woollett, John Miller [i.e. Johann Sebastian Müller], William Byrne, James Newton, and Samuel Middiman; after Giovanni Batista Borra, William Pars, James Newton, L. Mayer, and Myers.
Part I has title: Ionian antiquities, published with permission of the Society of dilettanti by R. Chandler, N. Revett [and] W. Pars.
Part 1 was published in 1769; pt. 2, 1797; pt. 3, 1840; pt. 4, 1881; pt. 5, 1915. In the introduction to pt. 5, the following statement is made: "The plates now published in this volume for the first time were engraved between 1820 and 1840 from the drawings made by the members of the second Ionian mission sent out by the Society of dilettanti in 1811. These engravings were to have been issued in a companion volume to part III ... It was delayed, however, by the death in 1839 of William Wilkins, R. A., who had been the architectural expert of the society from the time of the mission, and was acting as editor of the work ... The engraved plates were thus forgotten until a set of proofs of them were given by the society in 1912 to the Royal institute of British architects, together with many of the original drawings ... They complete the important work which was carried on for so long a time by the Society of dilettanti ... The drawings given in 1912 ... were the whole of those remaining in the possession of
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Greek.Brassey, Thomas Brassey, Earl, 1836-1918 -- Bookplate (BEIN 1975 Folio 80)Cockerell, C. R. (Charles Robert), 1788-1863 -- Provenance.Engraving -- Specimens -- [1769-1797].Etching -- Specimens -- [1769-1797].Greece -- Antiquities.Haskell, W. -- Printer.Society of Dilettanti -- Publisher.Spilsbury, T. -- Printer.Turkey -- Antiquities.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.