The heads of the kings of England : proper for Mr. Rapin's History, translated by N. Tindal ... : viz. Egbert First, monarch of England, Alfred the Great, Canute the Dane, William the Conquerer, first of the Norman line, and all the succeeding kings and sovereign queens to the Revolution : with some of the most illustrious princes of the royal family / collected, drawn, and engraven, with ornaments and decorations, by George Vertue ; to which are added, the heads of Mr. Rapin and N. Tindal ... ; and an account of the several heads, of the antiquities that have been followed, and of the pictures copied for engraving them ; also, twenty two plates of the monuments of the kings of England, with their epitaphs, and inscriptions, and a brief historical account of them.
- London : Printed for James, John, and Paul Knapton, at the Crown in Ludgate-Street, 1736.
- Physical Description:
- 12 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ports. ; 42 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 51Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Plates by George Vertue and Bernard Picart; after Hans Holbein, Antonio More, Titian, Isaac Oliver, Lucas de Heere, Gerard van Honthorst, Anthonie van Dyck, Paulus Vansomer, Samuel Cooper, Peter Lely, Godfrey Kneller, and George Knapton.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1736.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Knapton (James, John, and Paul) -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Vertue, George, 1684-1756, The heads of the kings of England , 1736
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.