The plays of William Shakespeare. From the corrected text of Johnson and Stevenson. Embellished with plates ...
- Additional Title(s):
- London, J. Stockdale, 1807.
- Physical Description:
- 6 v. fronts., 16 pl. 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2752 S8 1807+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "T. Bensley, Printer, Bolt Court, Fleet Street, London."
Without introduction or notes; plates dated 1802-04. 16 of the 22 by Thomas Stothard, 4 by William Hamilton, 2 by Henry Fuseli, all engraved by James Heath, hence called "Heath's edition."--Cf. Lowndes.
The plates are also issued without text in "A series of engravings, by Heath and Bartolozzi, from paintings by Stothard to illustrate the works of Shakespeare and Milton ... London, 1818."
- Subject Terms:
- Bensley, T. -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1807.Stockdale, John -- Publisher.
- v. 1. Midsummer night's dream. Taming of the shrew. Merry wives of Windsor. Much ado about nothing. All's well that ends well. Measure for measure.--v. 2. Winter's tale. Two gentlemen of Verona. Hamlet. Romeo and Juliet. Richard II. Richard III.--v. 3. Comedy of errors. Macbeth. Henry VI, pt I-III. As you like it.--v. 4. Tempest. Twelfth night. Henry VIII. Julius Caesar. Timon of Athens. Coriolanus.--v. 5. Love's labour's lost. King John. King Lear. Troilus and Cresida. Titus Andronicus. Othello.--v. 6. Merchant of Venice. Henry IV, pt. I-II. Henry V. Antony and Cleopatra. Cymbeline. Pericles.