The history and antiquities of the cathedral church of Canterbury, and the once-adjoining monastery: containing, an account of its first establishment, building, reedifications, repairs, endowments, benefactions, chapels, altars, shrines, reliques, chauntries, obiits, ornaments, books, jewels, plate, vestments; before the dissolution of the monastery: and the manner of its dissolution. A survey of the present church and cloysters, monuments, and inscriptions, with other things remarkable: which, with the several prospects of the church, are engraved by the best hands. The lives of the archbishops, priors, &c. of Christ-church: with an account of learned men there flourishing in their several times. An appendix of ancient charters and writings relating to the church and monastery. A catalogue of the church-wealth in prior Estrey's time. An ancient Saxon obituary and a large one continu'd thence downward. By the Reverend Mr. J. Dart.
- London, Printed and sold by J. Cole, [etc.], 1726.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p. l., ix, 204, lvi p. illus., plates (part. fold.), coats of arms, plan. 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A B 4 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A B 4 Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- British Art Center has 2 different issues. Copy 1 has imprint: London : Printed and sold by J. Cole ..., and J. Hoddle ..., 1726. Copy 2 has imprint: London : Printed and sold by J. Cole ..., J. Hoddle ..., J. Smith ... , and A. Johnson ..., 1726. Plate 9 (engraved list of subscribers and their coats of arms) also differs.
The lives of the archbishops of Canterbury: p. -176.
Title in red and black; initials; head- and tail-pieces.
Plates, each included in paging as one page, engraved by James Cole.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), p. 1005.
- Subject Terms:
- Canterbury Cathedral.Christ Church Priory (Canterbury, England)Cole, J. -- Publisher.Dogmersfield Library -- Bookplate.Hoddle, J. -- Publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate.Johns, Samuel -- Autograph.Johnson, A. -- Publisher.Smith, J. -- Publisher.
- Mezzotints -- 1726.
Engravings -- 1726.
Etchings -- 1726.
YCBA Collections Search
Dart, John, -1730, The history and antiquities of the cathedral church of Canterbury, and the once-adjoining monastery, 1726
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.