Martyn, Thomas, 1735-1825, A chronological series of engravers from the invention of the art to the beginning of the present century, 1770
A chronological series of engravers from the invention of the art to the beginning of the present century.
- Cambridge : Printed by J. Archdeacon ..., for J. Woodyer in Cambridge, and sold by J. Beecroft, in Paternoster Row ... [and 5 others], 1770.
- Physical Description:
- , xii, 128,  p., III folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE800 M3 1770Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- British Art Center copy is interleaved, and imperfect: 3 plates wanting.
BEIN Osborn pc301: 18 cm. Imperfect: wormed, with partial loss of text; plate III cropped. Autograph, ms. notes, and armorial bookplate of Alexander Fraser Tytler [Lord Woodhouselee]. Bookplate signed 'Woodhouselee.' With: Gilpin, William. An essay upon prints, containing remarks upon the principles of pictureque beauty. London : J. Robson, 1768.
Published anonymously. Attributed to Thomas Martyn. Cf. Halkett & Laing.
Pages  and  (first count) are blank.
This work consists of two parts arranged chronologically and numbered continuously: the first 639 [i.e. 641] are foreign engravers, the next 164 are British engravers. It is the second dictionary of engravers to be published in English.
Engravers' monograms are reproduced on three folded leaves of plates at end.
ESTC (RLIN), T153275
Halkett & Laing (2nd ed.)
Includes bibliographical references.
With half title and index.
"Mistakes and omissions" on p.  at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Archdeacon, J. -- Printer.Beecroft, J. -- Publisher.Cadell, T. -- Publisher.Davis T. -- Publisher.Engravers.Hingeston, M. -- Publisher.Payne, T. -- Publisher.Prince, D. -- Publisher.Winkley, A. R. Thorold -- Autograph. (BACRB)Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord, 1747-1813 -- Autograph.Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord, 1747-1813 -- Bookplate.Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord, 1747-1813 -- Ms. notes.Woodyer, J. -- Publisher.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.