A botanical drawing-book, or, An easy introduction to drawing flowers according to nature / by James Sowerby ... ; originally designed for the use of his pupils ...
- Additional Title(s):
Easy introduction to drawing flowers according to nature
- Second edition.
- London : Printed by Richard Taylor & Co. ... : [1807?]
- Physical Description:
- 11 leaves, 10 leaves of plates : col. ill. 19 x 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2300 S68 1807Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The botanical illustrations are drawn and engraved by James Sowerby.
First published in 1788, with title: An easy introduction to drawing flowers, according to nature. Second edition first published 1791.
The plates are dated 1788-1807.
"Prospectus of works published by James Sowerby."-- p. at end.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 48
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 34
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blue boards. Autograph: M.H. Roscoe. Has laid in a folded leaf on which the designs engraved in plate 1, illustrating stamens, are drawn in watercolor and pen and black ink. The student's drawings use the same colors as those applied on the engraved plate.
"The author having experienced the want of a drawing-book sufficiently accurate to enable young beginners, who are fond of delineating flowers, to distinguish the different parts absolutely necessary to characterize each plant, he has been induced to offer a few designs to the public, in order to facilitate botanical studies, and blend amusement with improvement."--Title page.
Sowerby presents the instructions in a scientific arrangement, with each lesson focusing on a particular part of the plant.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1807.Flowers in art.Highley -- Publisher.Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme -- Publisher.Nicol -- Publisher.Plants in art.Roscoe, M. H. -- Provenance.Sowerby, James -- Publisher.Symonds -- Publisher.Taylor (Richard) & Co. -- Printer.White -- Publisher.
- Drawing books.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sowerby, James, 1757-1822, A botanical drawing-book, or, An easy introduction to drawing flowers according to nature , [1807?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.