Hutton, Charles, 1737-1823, A treatise on mensuration, both in theory and practice , 1770
- A treatise on mensuration, both in theory and practice / by Charles Hutton.
- Newcastle upon Tyne : Printed by T. Saint for the author and for John Wilkie in St. Paul's Church Yard, and Richard Baldwin in Pater-noster Row, London, 1770.
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 646,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill., plan ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA465 .H88 1770 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA465 .H88 1770 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The work was first published in 1767, and went through a number of later editions. The wood-engraved diagrams throughout the text maybe the work of Thomas Bewick, working as an apprentice of Ralph Beilby of Newcastle (who was a subscriber to the present work), and thus may be among his earliest published designs"--British Architectural Library.
Signatures: a-g² (-g2) A-8A²
Engraved Percy coat of arms as head-piece to dedication.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 374
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1584
Hugo, T. Bewick collector, 1
List of subscribers: p. [v]-xiv.
Errata:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in calf binding. Bookplate of Stephen Piper. Inscribed: Stephen Piper. 1787. Copy 2 bound in reverse calf binding. Inscribed: Adam Johnston; Exus Liber. Robert Kirke - His great great grandfather's book. Glenmount 18th Sept. 1904.
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, Richard -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1770.Geometry -- Early works to 1800.Johnston, Adam -- Autograph. (BACRB copy 2)Kirke, Robert -- Autograph, Glenmount, 18th Sept. 1904. (BACRB copy 2)Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.Measurement -- Early works to 1800.Piper, Stephen -- Autograph. (BACRBcopy 1)Piper, Stephen -- Bookplate. (BACRB copy 1)Saint, T. -- PrinterWilkie, John -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1770.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.