IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hutton, Charles, 1737-1823, A treatise on mensuration, both in theory and practice , 1770
A treatise on mensuration, both in theory and practice / by Charles Hutton.
- Newcastle upon Tyne : Printed by T. Saint for the author and for John Wilkie in St. Paul's Church Yard, and Richard Baldwin in Pater-noster Row, London, 1770.
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 646,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill., plan ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA465 .H88 1770 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA465 .H88 1770 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- "The work was first published in 1767, and went through a number of later editions. The wood-engraved diagrams throughout the text maybe the work of Thomas Bewick, working as an apprentice of Ralph Beilby of Newcastle (who was a subscriber to the present work), and thus may be among his earliest published designs"--British Architectural Library.
Signatures: a-g² (-g2) A-8A²
Engraved Percy coat of arms as head-piece to dedication.
English short title catalogue, N62049
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 374
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1584
Hugo, T. Bewick collector, 1
List of subscribers: p. [v]-xiv.
Errata:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in calf binding. Bookplate of Stephen Piper. Inscribed: Stephen Piper. 1787. Copy 2 bound in reverse calf binding. Inscribed: Adam Johnston; Exus Liber. Robert Kirke - His great great grandfather's book. Glenmount 18th Sept. 1904.
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, Richard -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1770.Geometry -- Early works to 1800.Johnston, Adam -- Autograph. (BACRB copy 2)Kirke, Robert -- Autograph, Glenmount, 18th Sept. 1904. (BACRB copy 2)Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.Measurement -- Early works to 1800.Piper, Stephen -- Autograph. (BACRBcopy 1)Piper, Stephen -- Bookplate. (BACRB copy 1)Saint, T. -- PrinterWilkie, John -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1770.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.