Colour and progressive sheets : Baxter colour prints.
- [London : J.M. Kronheim & Co.], 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : all ill. (some col.) ; 27 x 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 141Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title.
Progressive color sheets for two prints published by J.M. Kronheim & Co., "Duty" and "Dignity," using the (George) Baxter process (i.e. chromoxylography, the "imposition of successive colored wood blocks over a monochrome key impression ..."--cf. Friedman, J. Color printing in England, p. 21)
Plates appeared in Nobility of life / L. Valentine. London, Frederick Warne and Company, 1869. (BAC has 2 copies in variant publisher's bindings: PR1111/C6/V3/1869)
"In order to preserve a record of the progressive colour stages of the building up of the pictures, a few sets of pulls were taken from the blocks and bound up as a series."--"Baxter" colour prints, p. 10.
Extracts from press reactions to the publication of the two prints are gathered in leaflet with title: "Baxter" colour prints (London, 1909).
- Subject Terms:
- Baxter, George, 1804-1867.Color prints.Kronheim (J. M.) & Co. -- Printer
- Chromoxylographs -- 1909.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.