Gallery of portraits : seventy-two proofs on India paper ...
- London : Charles Knight ..., 1834-1837.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ports. ; 44 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A C 3Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center copy is proof copy, with many copies of each plate. Biographical sketches are wanting.
Plates by James Thomson, J. Mollison, William Hopwood, Robert Hart, James Posselwhite, Charles Edward Wagstaff, Benjamin Holl, Edward Scriven, John Taylor Wedgwood, Thomas A. Woolnoth, Richard Woodman, Frederick Mackenzie, D.F. Selma, William Holl, Henry Hoppner Meyer, and John William Cook; after John Thurston, Joseph Wright, Thomas Phillips, Isaac Whood, J. Watts, Robert Hudson, James Heath, Henry Raeburn, Hyacinthe Rigaud, Jonathan Richardson, Robert Dunkarton, Francis Parsons, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Caroline Watson, Hans Holbein, Nathaniel Dance Holland, Charles Le Brun, Michael Van Der Gucht, G. Penn, John Hoppner, A. Lorgnal, John Jackson, James Ramsay, James Hall, George Dawe, and Sir Anthonie van Dyck.
At head of title: Published under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge.
Afterwards published under title: The portrait gallery of distinguished poets philosophers, statesmen, divines, painters, architects, physicians, and lawyers, since the revival of art. London, 1858.
Printed by William Clowes.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowles, George Downing -- Bookplate.Clowes, William -- Printer.Knight, Charles -- Publisher.Portraits.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1834-1837.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.