Fisher, Thomas, 1781?-1836, Ancient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings,, 1838
- Ancient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings, in fresco : discovered in the summer of 1804 on the walls of the chapel of the Trinity, belonging to the Gilde of the Holy Cross, at Stratford-upon-Avon, in Warwickshire / from drawings, made at the time of their discovery, by Thomas Fisher, F.S.A. ; also, a view and plan of the chapel, a view of New Place, the residence of William Shakespeare, facsimiles of various grants and indulgences to the gilde, with representations of one hundred and fifty ancient seals appended to them, facsimile extracts from the register of the gilde, the rolls of accounts ... ; described by John Gough Nichols, F.S.A.
- London : Henry G. Bohn, 1838.
- Physical Description:
- , 14 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan, facsims. ; 48 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 146 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 146 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 146 Copy 3Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Several plates engraved by Hilkiah Burgess; others by and after Thomas Foisher.
British Art Center has 3 copies. Copy 1 has the autograph of Miriam Houlston.
Added lithographed t.p. reads: A series of antient, allegorical, historical and legendary paintings which were discovered in the summer of 1804 ... Drawn ... 1804. Etched and published ... by Thomas Fisher, 1807.
- Subject Terms:
- Bohn, Henry G. -- Publisher.Church of the Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1838.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1838.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1838.Gild of the Holy Cross, The Blessed Mary, and St. John the Baptist (Stratford-upon-Avon)Houlston, Miriam -- Autograph.Houlston, Miriam -- Autograph.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1838.Mural painting and decoration -- Great Britain.Nichols (J. B.) and Son -- Printer.Seals (Numismatics) -- Great Britain.Stratford-upon-Avon (England) -- Charters, grants, privileges.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.