A series of antient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings : which were discovered in the summer of 1804 on the walls of the Chapel of the Trinity at Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire : also views and sections illustrative of the architecture of the Chapel / drawn anno domini 1804.
- [London] : Etched and published ... by Thomas Fisher, 1807 [i.e. 1812?]
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. plan, facsims. ; 51 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 144Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Advertisement printed by John Nichols and Son.
This copy probably one of 20 large paper copies.
Advertisement (bound in after t.p.) for third part dated Dec. 1809 reads: "The paintings were printed from stone at the polyautographic press of M. Voluieler [sic], and the plates immediately destroyed, on which account the number of copies ... cannot exceed 120, of these 20 only are on large paper. One plate will altogether amount to fifty, chiefly in colours, besides letter-press."
Plates dated 1807-1812.
Lithographs printed by Georg Jacob Vollweiler.
"Legends of the invention and exaltation of the Holy Cross:" Appendix 1, p. 1-5 at end.
"Legend of St. Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury:" Appendix 2, p. -8 at end.
Twyman, M. Lithography, 1800-1850, p. 30-32
- Subject Terms:
- Church of the Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon.Fisher, Thomas -- Publisher.Mural painting and decoration -- Great Britain.Seals (Numismatics) -- Great Britain.Stratford-upon-Avon (England) -- Charters, grants, privileges.Vollweiler, Georg Jacob -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1807-1812.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1807-1812.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1807-1812.
YCBA Collections Search
Fisher, Thomas, 1781?-1836, A series of antient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings , 1807 [i.e. 1812?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.