A series of antient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings, in fresco : discovered in the summer of 1804 on the walls of the chapel of the Trinity, belonging to the Gild of the Holy Cross, at Stratford-upon-Avon, in Warwickshire / from drawings made at the time of their discovery by Thomas Fisher ... ; also, a plan of the Chapel, facsimiles of various grants and indulgences to the gild ; with representations of one hundred and fifty public and private seals appended to them, facsimile extracts from the register of the gild ...
- London : Nichols and Son ..., 1836.
- Physical Description:
- , 8 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan, facsims. ; 49 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 145Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 145Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Several plates by Hilkiah Burgess; others by and after Thomas Fisher.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has t.p., appendixes and several other pages hand-ruled in red. Bookseller suggests that this is the copy used by John Nichols to plan a new ed.
Copy 2 has the autograph of John Reeves and is imperfect: 2 leaves of plates & 8 p. (Appendixes at end) wanting.
Added lithographed t.-p., dated 1807.
"Legends of the invention and exaltation of the Holy Cross:" Appendix 1, p. 1-5 at end.
"Legend of St. Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury:" Appendix 2, p. -8 at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Church of the Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon.Gild of the Holy Cross, The Blessed Mary, and St. John the Baptist (Stratford-upon-Avon)Mural painting and decoration -- Great Britain.Nichols and Son -- Publisher.Reeves, John -- Autograph, 1877.Seals (Numismatics) -- Great Britain.Stratford-upon-Avon (England) -- Antiquities.Stratford-upon-Avon (England) -- Charters, grants, privileges.
- Engravings -- 1836.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
YCBA Collections Search
Fisher, Thomas, 1781?-1836, A series of antient allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings,, 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.