The rice manufactury in China , [1770?]
- The rice manufactury in China : from the originals brought from China.
- London : Printed for Carington Bowles, No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, John Bowles, No. 13, in Cornhil, & Robert Sayer in Fleet Street, [1770?]
- Physical Description:
- 24 leaves : all ill. ; 25 x 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A S 9Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Stuart P. FeldAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The engravings are based upon the influential Yuzhi gengzhi (Imperially commissioned illustrations of agriculture and sericulture).
Plates engraved by John June; after Augustin Heckel.
Date from British Museum catalogue.
Title page is engraved.
Sayer & Bennett's catalogue of prints for 1775, p. 94-95
BAC: British Art Center copy in wrappers; stitched.
- 1. Engraved title page -- 2. The method of soaking the rice to make it ponderous, that it may sink to the bottom of the water when sowed -- 3. Plowing the ground on which the rice is to be sowed -- 4. Harrowing the ground -- 5. Raking the ground after the first time of harrowing -- 6. Laying the ground smooth and even for the rice, by a second harrowing -- 7. Two Chinese sowing the rice in water -- 8. The Chinese farmer viewing the rice plants when grown up -- 9. Putting fresh water on the young plants -- 10. Taking up the young plants in order to set them in fresh ground -- 11. Planting out the young rice in a regular order -- 12. Examining if the plants have taken root and fastning them in the ground -- 13. Weeding the rice. The master overlooking the workmen -- 14. The farmer's wife and daughter carrying provisions to the men -- 15. Poring fresh water on the plants -- 16. Reaping -- 17. Laying the sheaves up in ricks -- 18. Threshing the rice -- 19. Breaking the husks -- 20. Sifting the rice -- 21. Winnowing the rice -- 22. Grinding the rice -- 23. Laying the rice up in the store houses -- 24. The Chinese Thanksgiving for a good harvest.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowles, Carington -- Publisher.Bowles, John, 1701-1779 -- Publisher.China -- History -- 18th century.Etching -- Specimens -- 1770.Rice -- China.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.