Proposals for publishing by subscription, an engraving from the historical picture painted by John Singleton Copley, R.A. , [180-]
- Proposals for publishing by subscription, an engraving from the historical picture painted by John Singleton Copley, R.A. : and now exhibiting in a pavilion, erected through the gracious permission of the King for the purpose, in the Green Park : this work ... is to be placed in the council chamber of Guildhall as a testimony of respect to the late Lord Heathfield, then governor of Gibralter, Earl Howe, commander of the fleet ... for their gallant conduct displayed in the defence and relief of that important fortress.
- London : Printed by H. Reynell, No. 21, Piccadilly, near the Hay-Market, [180-].
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND237 C7 A7 1800z+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Subscription for an engraving of The Siege of Gibraltar first announced in 1788, then again in 1791 when painting was first exhibited; it was to be executed by Francesco Bartolozzi. By 1801 the engraving had still not been executed & Copley engaged William Sharp to replace Bartolozzi. Sharp's engraving was finally published in 1810. This subscription announcement then, is later than the one described in BM dated [1790?] that mentions Bartolozzi.
Includes key to Copley's painting.
Prown, J. Copley, p. 335; fig. 489.
- Subject Terms:
- Copley, John Singleton, 1738-1815. Siege of Gibraltar.Etching -- Specimens -- [180-].Gibraltar -- History -- Siege, 1779-1783.Reynell, H. -- Printer.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.