Typographical antiquities, or, The history of printing in England, Scotland and Ireland : containing memoirs of our ancient printers, and a register of the books printed by them / begun by the late Joseph Ames ... considerably augmented by William Herbert ... and now greatly enlarged with copious notes, and illustrated with appropriate engravings ; comprehending the history of English literature, and a view of the progress of the art of engraving in Great Britain by the Rev. Thomas Frognall Dibdin ...
- London : Printed for William Miller ..., by William Savage ..., 1810-1819.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : ill., ports., facsims. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ151 .A512+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ151 .A512+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Illustrations engraved by Henry Hoppner Meyer, Thomas Hodgetts and William Say; after Henry Edridge, Thomas Cook, George Romney, and Sir William Beechey.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is small paper copy (29 cm.), bound in 4 vols., in olive morocco and elaborately tooled in gold, with gauffered edges. Vol 1 has t.p. with imprint that reads: London : Printed for William Miller ..., by William Savage ..., 1810.
Copy 2 is large paper copy (38 cm.) and is bound in 8 vols. Vol. 1 has t.p. with imprint that reads: London : Printed by William Savage ..., for William Miller ..., [n.d.].
Copy 2 belonged to the Minto family and has the bookplate of Harry Lawrence Bradfer-Lawrence.
Vols. 1-2 published 1810-12; v. 3, 1816, by J. Murray; v. 4, 1819, by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown.
"Memoirs of Joseph Ames" by ... Richard Gough: v. 1, p. 19-51. "Some account of William Herbert" by the editor: v. 1, p. 71-95. "List of authors consulted and referred to": v. 1, p. 375-379.
- Subject Terms:
- Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L. (Harry Lawrence) -- Bookplate.Bulmer (W.) and Co. -- Printer.Engraving -- Great Britain.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown -- Publisher.Miller, William -- Publisher.Minto family -- Provenance.Murray, John -- Publisher.Printers -- Great Britain.Printing -- Great Britain -- History.Savage, William -- Printer.
- Mezzotints -- 1810-1819.
Etchings -- 1810-1819.
Stipple engravings -- 1810-1819.
Woodcuts -- 1810-1819.
Wood engravings -- 1810-1819.
YCBA Collections Search
Ames, Joseph, 1689-1759, Typographical antiquities, or, The history of printing in England, Scotland and Ireland , 1810-1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.