Pennant, Thomas, 1726-1798, The journey from Chester to London, MDCCLXXXII 
The journey from Chester to London.
- London : Printed for B. White, Fleet Street, MDCCLXXXII 
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 452,  pages, 22 leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations, portraits ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620 P41 1782+ Copy 1 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620 P41 1782+ Copy 2 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN 1978 1146: Armorial bookplate and goldstamp on binding of C. O'Callaghan.
British Art Center has 2 copies.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is in 4 vols. (34 cm.) and is extra-illustrated with over 470 drawings, prints and maps. It includes over 160 contemporary watercolors, of which 118 are by John Ingleby, 28 by Mercatti, 2 by Moses Griffiths, 11 by Henry George Oldfield, 1 by John Carter, and a portrait of Henry VIII after Holbein by an unknown artist; over 280 engravings, aquatints, etchings, and mezzotints of views, historical and literary portraits, etc., after Van Dyck, Reynolds, Kneller, Kauffmann, etc. Also bound in at end is a copy of: An actual survey of the great postroads from London to Chester, Park-Gate and Holy-Head / by Peter Bell. London, 1779.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 compiled by the antiquary Trench Chiswell.
Engraved title page, with vignette.
Advertisement signed: Thomas Pennant.
Plates engraved by Peter Mazell, Daniel Lerpinière, James Fittler, Moses Griffith, James Caldwell, Sparrow and James Basire; after Moses Griffith and John Carter.
With an index.
English short title catalogue, T160571
- Subject Terms:
- Chiswell, Trench, 1735-1797 -- Provenance.Cromer, Earl of -- Bookplate.Darby, Francis -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Marx, Hermann, -1947 -- Bookplate.O'Callaghan, Cornelius -- Bookplate.White, B. -- Publisher.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Binders' stamps (Binding)
Mezzotints -- 1782.
Aquatints -- 1782.
Engravings -- 1782.
Etchings -- 1782.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.