The stones of Venice / by John Ruskin ; with illustrations drawn by the author.
- London : Smith, Elder, and Co., 1851-1853.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA1121.V4 R87 1851Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 135
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
BAC: Plates engraved by Thomas Shotter Boys, R.P. Cuff, Thomas Goff Lupton, James Charles Armytage, and John Henry Le Keux; after John Ruskin.
BAC: Bound in gold-stamped dark brown publisher's cloth (as described in Wise).
BAC: Binder's ticket: Westley's & Co., Friar St., London
BEIN Ruskin 851s: Original dark brown cloth binding. Bookplate of Robert Emmott Large. Fully described in Wise.
BEIN 2000 +202: Advertisements, dated February 1851, at end of v. 1; advertisements, dated June 1853, at end of v. 2; advertisements dated October 1853, at end of v. 3. Bookseller's label in v. 1: Kelly, bookseller, 8,Grafton Street, Dublin. Binder's ticket: Bound by Westleys & Co., Friar Street,London. Stamp: Rosstrevor House Library. Possibly from the collection of F.J. Sharp.
BEIN 2000 +203: Advertisements, dated October 1853, at end of v. 1-2; advertisements, dated March 1854, at end of v. 3. Bookplate of Thomas Oldfield in v. 1-2. Binder's ticket in v. 2-3: Bound by Westleys & Co., Friar Street, London. Bookplate of Caxton Book Society mounted on front pastedown of v. 3, with blanks filled in with ms. list of borrowers. Possibly from the collection of F.J. Sharp.
Wise, T.J. Ruskin, 291, 293, 295
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Italy -- Venice.Architecture.Caxton Book Society -- Bookplate.Large, Robert Emmott -- BookplateOldfield, Thomas -- Bookplate.Rosstrevor House Library -- Stamp.Sharp, F. J. -- Ownership.Smith, Elder, and Co. -- Printer.Spottiswoode and Shaw -- Printer.Stephens, Stephen Lyne, 1801-1860 -- Bookplate.Westley's & Co. -- Bookbinder.
- Lithotints -- 1851-1853.
Lithotints -- 1851-1853.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance) -- Kelly.
Wood engravings -- 1851-1853.
Steel engravings -- 1851-1853.
- IIIF Manifest:
- v.1. The foundations
- v.2. The sea-stories
- v.3. The fall
Unto this Last: Two Hundred Years of John Ruskin (Yale Center for British Art, 2019-09-05 - 2019-12-08) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Color Printing in England, 1486-1870 (Yale Center for British Art, April 20, 1978-June 25, 1978) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]