Lexicon technicum, or, An universal English dictionary of arts and sciences : explaining not only the terms of art, but the arts themselves / by John Harris ...
- London : Printed for Dan. Browne, Tim. Goodwin, John Walthoe, John Nicholson, Ben. Tooke, Dan. Midwinter, and Tho. Ward, 1710-1716.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., port. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAE5 .H37+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates by John Sturt and George White; after Bernard Lens and Robert White.
Vol. 1 is 3rd ed., 1716.
Vol. 2 has imprint: Printed for Dan. Brown, Tim. Goodwin, J. Walthoe, Joh. Nicholson, Benj. Tooke, Dan. Midwinter, M. Atkins, and T. Ward, 1710.
"First alphabetical encyclopedia written in English."--cf. Encyclopedia britannica (under Encyclopedia)
Supplement published as: A supplement to Dr. Harris's Dictionary of arts and sciences.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Dictionaries.Art -- Early works to 1800.Atkins, M. -- Publisher.Brown, Dan. -- Publisher.Browne, Dan. -- Publisher.Encyclopedias and dictionaries.Goodwin, Tim. -- Publisher.Midwinter, Dan. -- Publisher.Nicholson, John -- Publisher.Science -- Dictionaries.Science -- Early works to 1800.Tooke, Ben. -- Publisher.Waldo, Timothy, Sir -- Bookplate.Walthoe, John -- Publisher.Ward, Tho. -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1710-1716.
Engravings -- 1710-1716.
YCBA Collections Search
Harris, John, 1667?-1719, Lexicon technicum, or, An universal English dictionary of arts and sciences , 1710-1716
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.