Brewer, J. N. (James Norris), Introduction to the Original delineations, topographical, historical, and descriptive, intituled The beauties of England and Wales , 1818
- Introduction to the Original delineations, topographical, historical, and descriptive, intituled The beauties of England and Wales : comprising observations on the history and antiquities of the Britons ... : together with remarks on the progress of ... architecture in succeeding ages / by J. Norris Brewer.
- London : Printed for J. Harris [and 11 others], 1818.
- Physical Description:
- xl, 676 p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625 .B382 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625 .B382 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The Beauties of England and Wales, by E. W. Brayley, J. Britton, J.N. Brewer and others was published in 18 volumes in 1801-1815.
Maps engraved by Samuel John Neele and N.R. Hewitt; after Thomas Leman.
NUC pre-1956, 41:667
Includes bibliographical references ("A list of books which treat on the topography and antiquities of England ...-p. -584) and index.
Includes: "Appendix to the Beauties of England and Wales, intended to supply some omissions, and ... corrections ..."--P. -667.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in 19th-century half calf and marbled boards. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: R. Mitford. Has bound with it, at front: publisher's prospectus ( p.) for the first number of the Beauties of England and Wales, (1801); a "Publisher's address to the subscribers, and the public, on the completion of the Beauties of England and Wales" ( p., 1816); a pamphlet on the progress on the Beauties ..., ( p.) issued by J. Harris subsequent to the publication of vol. 11; Harris's advertisement ( p.) for the completed work (in 18 v.), with a list of plates. Has bound with it, at end, the publisher's directions to the binder for the placing of the plates in the 18 v. of the Beauties ... ( p.).
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England.Architecture -- Wales.Great Britain -- Antiquities.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Harris, J. -- Publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate.Mitford, R. -- Bookplate.Wales -- Antiquities.Wales -- Description and travel.
- Engravings -- 1818.
Prospectuses -- England -- London -- 1801.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.