Excursions in the county of Sussex : comprising brief historical and topographical delineations : together with descriptions of the residences of the nobility and gentry, remains of antiquity, and other interesting objects of curiosity : forming a complete guide for the traveller & tourist : illustrated with fifty engravings, including a map of the county.
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, J. Greig ..., and P. Youngman, Witham and Maldon, Essex, 1822.
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 176 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. plan ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 S98 C76 1822 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 S98 C76 1822 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Map engraved by Thomas Starling.
Plates engraved by Thomas Higham, James Bingley, John Greig, William Deeble, Thomas Barber, J.A. Rolph, Edward John Roberts, and William Wallis; after Thomas Higham, John Greig, Henry Gastineau, Samuel Prout, and Thomas Barber.
Added engraved t.p. reads: Excursions through Sussex.
Originally issued in numbers, in the author's series Excursions through England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland. cf. DNB and BM.
Also issued under title: History of Sussex, or, Excursions in the county.
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 2 is imperfect: letterpress t.p. and maps wanting.
BAC: Copy 2 is bound with: Excursions in the county of Sussex / Thomas Cromwell. London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown ..., 1821.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 18222.Greig, J. -- Publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate. (Copy 2)King, Benjamin Giles -- Bookplate. (Copy 1)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Browne -- Publisher.Sussex (England) -- Antiquities.Sussex (England) -- Description and travel.Youngman, P. -- Publisher.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Cromwell, Thomas, 1792-1870, Excursions in the county of Sussex , 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.