Cromwell, Thomas, 1792-1870, Excursions in the county of Sussex , 1822
- Excursions in the county of Sussex : comprising brief historical and topographical delineations : together with descriptions of the residences of the nobility and gentry, remains of antiquity, and other interesting objects of curiosity : forming a complete guide for the traveller & tourist : illustrated with fifty engravings, including a map of the county.
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, J. Greig ..., and P. Youngman, Witham and Maldon, Essex, 1822.
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 176 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. plan ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 S98 C76 1822 Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 S98 C76 1822 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Map engraved by Thomas Starling.
Plates engraved by Thomas Higham, James Bingley, John Greig, William Deeble, Thomas Barber, J.A. Rolph, Edward John Roberts, and William Wallis; after Thomas Higham, John Greig, Henry Gastineau, Samuel Prout, and Thomas Barber.
Added engraved t.p. reads: Excursions through Sussex.
Originally issued in numbers, in the author's series Excursions through England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland. cf. DNB and BM.
Also issued under title: History of Sussex, or, Excursions in the county.
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 2 is imperfect: letterpress t.p. and maps wanting.
BAC: Copy 2 is bound with: Excursions in the county of Sussex / Thomas Cromwell. London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown ..., 1821.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 18222.Greig, J. -- Publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate. (Copy 2)King, Benjamin Giles -- Bookplate. (Copy 1)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Browne -- Publisher.Sussex (England) -- Antiquities.Sussex (England) -- Description and travel.Youngman, P. -- Publisher.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.