Narratives of South America, illustrating manners, customs, and scenery : containing also numerous facts in natural history : collected during a four years' residence in tropical regions / by Charles Empson.
- London : Printed by A.J. Valpy ... and published for the author by William Edwards, 1836.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 322 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF2263 E55 1836+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsF2263 E55 1836+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 702
One plate drawn and engraved by George Brettingham Sowerby.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. The twelve coloured facsimiles of drawings (i.e. colored etchings and colored lithographs) to accompany this copy are laid in portfolio, with 2 "extra" plates. Also cased with the portfolio are 4 other extra plates (2 ills., 2 leaves of lithographed text) in cover that reads: Representations of the Aserrador Hewitsomi and the Psalidognathus Friendii.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is a large paper copy (37 cm). It has 14 leaves of plates bound in.
"Twelve colored fac-similes of drawings, from sketches made ... to illustrate the ... Narratives ... are published by Ackermann and co. ... and Charles Tilt ... London."--Notice, p. [v].
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Colombia.Colombia -- Description and travel.Colombia -- Social life and customs.Elam, C. -- Pres. insc. from J. M. Kitchen, 1855.Hill, J. M. -- Autograph, 1838.Kitchen, J. M. -- Pres. insc. to C. Elam, 1855.Milman family -- Provenance.South America -- Description and travel.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
YCBA Collections Search
Empson, Charles, Narratives of South America, illustrating manners, customs, and scenery , 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.