Banks, John Henry, 1816-1879, Panoramic view of Liverpool, March 26th, 1847
Panoramic view of Liverpool.
- London : Ackermann & Co., March 26th, 1847.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : steel engraving ; 55 x 81 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2009 4gYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 571
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects, 76
Muir, R. Bygone Liverpool, 87
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
"Ackermann's bird's-eye view of Liverpool is taken from a point above Birkenhead looking across the Mersey. Evidently it was designed to serve both as a print and a map. To present the maximum amount of detail, the artist has taken a certain amount of axionometric licence. A proof of the engraving in the British Museum carries fewer place names. A manuscript imprint inscribed on it reads: 'Drawn, engraved and published as the act directs by J.H. Banks, 7, Gt. Newport Strt. Long Acre, London.' ..."--Hyde.
- Subject Terms:
- Liverpool (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.Liverpool (England) -- Pictorial works.Panoramas -- Specimens.
- Panoramas -- England -- Liverpool.
Views -- England -- Liverpool.
Steel engravings -- 1847.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.