Ruskin, John, 1819-1900, Modern painters , 1888
- Modern painters / by John Ruskin ...
- Complete edition.
- Orpington, Kent : George Allen, 1888.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1135 R87 1888+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1135 R87 1888+ Copy 2 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations engraved by James Charles Armytage, R.P. Cuff, John Henry Le Keux, John Cousen, John Ruskin, George Allen, Thomas Shotter Boys, Thomas Goff Lupton, Charles Algernon Tomkins, William Holl, George Cook, and John Philipp Emslie; after John Ruskin, J.M.W. Turner, John Constable, John Joseph Laing, and other, non-British, artists.
British Art Center has 2 copies, both large paper copies printed on Whatman's hand-made paper. Copy 1 bound in green cloth, copy 2 in black morocco.
Some correspondence from the publisher to H.E. Cooke (a subscriber), and several prospectuses for Modern painters which were laid in copy 1 have been placed in the Object File.
Index issued separately under title: Modern painters. General index, bibliography, and notes.
- v.1. Of general principles, and of truth -- v.2. Of the imagination and theoretic faculties -- v.3. Of many things -- v.4. Of mountain beauty -- v.5. Of leaf beauty ; Of cloud beauty ; Of ideas of relation
- Subject Terms:
- Aesthetics.Allen, George -- Publisher.Cooke, H. E. -- Provenance.Hazell, Watson, & Viney -- Printer.Painting.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1888.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.