Hollar, Wenceslaus, 1607-1677, The kingdome of England & principality of Wales , 1644
- The kingdome of England & principality of Wales : exactly described whith every sheere & the small townes in euery one of them : in six mappes, portable for every man's pocket ... : vseful for all commanders for quarteringe of souldiers ... / described by one that travailed throughout the whole kingdome for its purpose ... W. Hollar, fecit.
- London : Sold by Thomas Ienner at the South entrance of ye Exchange, 1644.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (,  leaves) : 6 folded maps ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 H64 1644Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Scale 1:380,160
- Engraved t.p.
Also known as the 'Quartermaster's Map.' cf. Shirley, p. 149.
Wing (2nd ed.) H2447
Shirley, R.W. Early printed maps of the British Isles, 537
- (from t.p.) The first beginning in Scotland & one sheere in England, Northumberland, & so to Newcastle -- The second hath his head at Newcastle & extendenth itselfe, all Durham, Westmoreland, Cumberland, Yorkeshire, Lancashire & part of Lincoln Shire -- The third hath Norfolke, Suffolke, Cambridge, Bedford, Hartford, Buckingham, Oxford, Northampton, Warwicke, Huntington, Lecester & Rutland, parte of Lincolne, Nottingham, Darby, Glocester, Barkeshire & Essex -- The fourth map runnes itselfe all Shropshire, Cheshire, Stafford, Woster, Heriford, most of Wales, Anglesey & part of Pembroke Shire -- The fift [sic] map houldeth the south of Wales & Gloster, Somerset, Dorset, Deuon & Cornwall, part of Wiltshire -- The sixth mappe containes Kent, Southsex, Surrey, Middlesex, Barke, & Hampshire, part of Essex & Wiltshire, the small prikes boundeth euery shire
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Jenner, Thomas, fl. 1631-1656 -- Publisher.
- Atlases -- Great Britain -- 1644.
Engravings -- 1644.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.