Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improved : being an actual survey of all the direct and principal cross roads of England and Wales : shewing all the cities, towns, villages, churches, gentlemen's seats, &c. situated on, or near any of the roads ... / engraved by Emanuel Bowen ... ; to which is added an accurate historical and topographical description of all the cities, boroughs, towns corporate, and other places of note ; compiled from the best authorities, by John Owen ... ; the whole illustrated with maps of all the counties of South-Britain, and a summary description of each.
- London : Printed for Carington Bowles ..., 1764.
- Physical Description:
- 12, 273 p. : coats of arms, maps ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA615 O34 1764Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps, with explanatory text, etc. (273 p.) engraved.
Two versions of Ogilby's original work, both in folio, were issued in 1675, the "Britannia, volume the first" containing both text and maps, and the Itinerarium Angilæ" from which the main portion of the text is omitted. Later, beginning in 1719, various works containing reductions of the maps were issued, among them the "Britannia depicta," of which the first edition is dated 1720.--cf. "John Ogilby" / H.G. Fordham. The Library (1925), p. 175-176.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowles, Carington -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1764.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Road maps.Isaacson, F. Wootton -- Provenance, 1914.Roads -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
Ogilby, John, 1600-1676, Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improved , 1764
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.