Chorographia Britanniae, or, A set of maps of all the counties in England and Wales : ... with the particular map of each county is an account of all the cities, boroughs, market towns, parishes, and rivers therein, the number of members it sends to Parliament, the market and fair days, and in those of Oxford and Cambridge are the names of all the colleges and halls in both universities, with the dates of their foundations : to the whole is added an alphabetical index of all the cities, boroughs, & market towns, properly distinguish'd from each other, and in what county they are situate : this collection ... was first drawn and compiled into a pocket book, by order and for the use of His late Majesty King George I / by Thomas Badeslade, surveyor and engineer, and now neatly engraved by Will. Henry Toms.
- [London] : Printed for and sold by W.H. Toms, engraver, in Union Court, near Hatton Garden, Holbourn, 1742.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas ( leaves) : 46 col. maps ; 25 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 B32 1742+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Scales differ.
- Engraved throughout.
Map imprints: "Publish'd by the proprietors T Badeslade & W.H. Toms Sept. 29. 1741."
Chubb, T. Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, CLXX
Hodson, D. County atlases of the British Isles, published after 1703, 188
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 2916
Plates 47 and 48 comprise an alphabetical list of the cities, boroughs & market towns in England & Wales.
BAC: British Art Center holds the original manuscript of this work (the "pocket book" mentioned on the t.p.), written and drawn on vellum by Thomas Badeslade in 1724. The t.p. on the ms. reads: A compleat sett of mapps of England and Wales in general, and of each county in particular.
BAC: British Art Center copy has bookplate of Harry Lawrence Bradfer-Lawrence, F.S.A.
- Subject Terms:
- Atlases, British -- Early works to 1800.Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L. (Harry Lawrence) -- Bookplate.England -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Road maps -- Early works to 1800.Roads -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Toms, W. H. -- Publisher.Wales -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Atlaes -- England -- 1742.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1742.
- (from t.p.) An accurate chart of the sea coast, exhibiting all the royal docks, fortifications, harbours, sands, &c.
- A map of England and Wales, as divided into counties, with the names of the cities and county towns, and the length, breadth, and superficial content of the whole and each county separately
- A map of the great roads from London to all parts of South Britain ...
- A map of all the cross roads from one great town to another ...