Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improv'd : being a correct coppy of Mr. Ogilby's Actual survey of all ye direct & principal cross roads in England and Wales : wherein are exactly delineated & engraven, all ye cities, towns, villages, churches, seats &c. scituate on or near the roads ... : and to render this work universally usefull & agreeable ... are added ... a full & particular description & account of all the cities, borough-towns, towns-corporate &c their arms, antiquity, charters, privileges, trade, rarities, &c. : with suitable remarks on all places of note drawn from the best historians and antiquaries places of note drawn from the best historians and antiquaries / by Ino. Owen ... ; lastly particular & correct maps of all ye counties of South Britain, with a summary description of each county ... by Eman. Bowen, engraver.
- London : Printed for & sold by Tho. Bowles ... & E. Bowen ..., 1720.
- Physical Description:
- , 273 p. : maps, coats of arms ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA615 O34 1720View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps engraved by Emanuel Bowen.
Two versions of Ogilby's original work, both in folio, were issued in 1675, the "Britannia, volume the first" containing both text and maps, and the "Itinerarium Angliæ" from which the main portion of the text is omitted. Later, beginning in 1719, various works containing reductions of the maps were issued, among them the "Britannia depicta" of which the first edition is dated 1720.--cf. "John Ogilby" / by H.G. Fordham. The Library, ser.4, v.6 (1925).
- Subject Terms:
- Bowen, Emanuel -- Publisher.Bowles, Thomas -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1720.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Road maps.Roads -- Great Britain.Willis, J. -- Autograph.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Ogilby, John, 1600-1676, Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improv'd , 1720
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.