A tutor to astronomy and geography, or, An easie and speedy way to know the use of both the globes, cœlestial and terrestrial : in six books ... : with an appendix shewing the use of the Ptolomaick sphere / by Joseph Moxon ... ; whereunto is added the antient poetical stories of the stars ... ; as also a discourse of the antiquity, progress and augmentation of astronomy.
- Additional Title(s):
Tutor to astronomy and geography
Easie and speedy way to know the use of both the globes, cœlestial and terrestrial
Ductor ad astronomiam & geographiam, vel, Usus globi cœlestis quam terrestris
Ductor ad astronomiam et geographiam, vel, Usus globi cœlestis quam terrestris
- The third edition, corrected and enlarged.
- London : Printed by Tho. Roycroft, for Joseph Moxon, and sold at his shop on Ludgate-Hill, at the sign of Atlas, MDCLXXIV 
- Physical Description:
- , 271,  p. : ill. ; 21 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQB41 M69 1674Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2018 538: From the library of Stephen F. Gates.
Loosely based on Part 2 of: Blaeu, Willem Janszoon. Institutio astronomica de usu globorum et sphaerarum caelestium ac terrestrium.
Added engraved t.p. printed on leaf A1v: Ductor ad astronomiam & geographiam, vel, Usus globi cœlestis quam terrestris ...
Signatures: A-2M⁴ 2O⁴.
"The ancient stories of the several stars and constellations ... collected from Dr. Hood": p. 208-232.
Bookseller's advertisement on p. , third count.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), M3024
English short title catalogue, R31059
Gates, S.F. Catalog of a collection of globes and books on the use of globes, spanning the years 1600-1900, page 57
- Subject Terms:
- Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.Constellations -- Early works to 1800.Gates, Stephen F. -- Ownership.Globes -- Early works to 1800.Spherical trigonometry -- Early works to 1800.Sundials -- Early works to 1800.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1674.
- Booksellers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
Moxon, Joseph, 1627-1691, A tutor to astronomy and geography, or, An easie and speedy way to know the use of both the globes, cœlestial and terrestrial , MDCLXXIV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.