Britannia, or, A geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, with the isles and territories thereto belonging : and for the better perfecting of the said work, there is added an alphabetical table of the names, titles, and seats of the nobility and gentry that each county of England and Wales is, or lately was, enobled with : illustrated with a map of each county of England, besides several general ones ...
- Additional Title(s):
Geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland
- London : Printed by Tho. Roycroft for the undertaker, Richard Blome, MDCLXXII 
- Physical Description:
- , 464 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., 50 maps plan ; 36 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA615 B66 1673+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Author's name derived from imprint.
In addition to the maps, the "plates" consist of "coates of armes" etc. of the "benefactors & promoters of this worke," and are printed on both sides.
Signatures: A⁶ B-3N⁴.
Title page printed in red and black; 'England' on the sixth line from the bottom is printed all in upper case. Also with title in black only, Britannia spelled "Britania," and the word 'England' printed in upper and lower case.
"Alphabetical table of the benefactors to this work": prelim. p.-; followed by  leaves of plates, printed on both sides, of their 806 coats of arms.
"An alphabetical account of the nobility and gentry," p. 345-464, has separate title page.
"Truly described by Bishop Nicolson as a 'most entire piece of theft out of Camden & Speed'."--DNB, v. 5, p. 225.
Maps printed on double leaves.
Baer, E. Seventeenth century Maryland, 73
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 5965
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), B3207
English short title catalogue, R7330
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf. Bookplate: George Finch. The page facing the title page is inscribed from Blome to George Finch, beneath a large rendering (in watercolor) of Finch's arms.
This work is a combination geography and heraldry of England, Ireland, Scotland, and the English colonies. The description of Maryland includes the history, geography, trade, government, and the names of the towns in the colony.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Description and travel.Blome, Richard, -1705 -- Presentation inscription to George Finch.Finch, George -- Bookplate.Finch, George -- Presentation inscription from Richard Blome.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Heraldry -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1673.
YCBA Collections Search
Blome, Richard, -1705, Britannia, or, A geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, with the isles and territories thereto belonging , MDCLXXII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.