Travels in Ethiopia, above the second cataract of the Nile : exhibiting the state of that country, and its various inhabitants, under the dominion of Mohammed Ali and illustrating the antiquities, arts, and history of the ancient kingdom of Meroe / by G.A. Hoskins... ; with a map, and ninety illustrations ...
- London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- xix, , 367,  p.  leaves of plates (one folded) : ill., map, plans ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT128 .H82 1835+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plate lithographed by John Arrowsmith, Robert Jacob Hamerton, W.L. Walton, Joseph Bonomi, and William P. Sherlock; after G.A. Hoskins and L. Bandoni.
Plates printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Some plates are double and some printed on both sides.
The chromolithographs present are probably the earliest in an English printed book--Cf. Gascoigne.
Gascoigne, B. "Earliest English chromolithographs." Journal of the Printing Historical Society (1982/83), p. -67
- Subject Terms:
- Ethiopia -- Description and travel.Gray, A. -- Autograph.Hullmandel, C. -- Printer.Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman -- Publisher.Meroe (Extinct city)Nubia -- Description and travel.Spottiswoode, A. -- Printer.
- Chromolithographs -- 1835.
Wood engravings -- 1835.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
Lithographs -- 1835.
YCBA Collections Search
Hoskins, G. A. (George Alexander), -1864, Travels in Ethiopia, above the second cataract of the Nile , 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.