A direction for the English traviller : by which he shal be inabled to coast about all England and Wales : and also to know how farre any market or noteable towne in any shire lyeth one from an other, and whether the same be east, west, north, or south from ye shire towne : as also the distance between London and any other shire or great towne, with the scituation thereof east, west, north, or south from London : by the help also of this worke one may know (in what parish, village or mansion house soeuer he be in) what shires he is to passe through & which way he is to trauell, till he come to his journies end.
- [London] : Printed and are to be sold by John Garrett, at the South entrance of ye Royall Exchange in Corn-hill ..., [1677?]
- Physical Description:
- 48 leaves (some folded) : maps ; 13 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 S55 1677Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Attributed to Mathew Simons by Tooley & Smith.
Date from Wing & Smith.
Each distance table has "thumb-nail" map at bottom right hand corner.
Printed on double leaves.
Wing (2nd ed.) D-1528
Smith, D. Antique maps, p. 201
Tooley, R.V. Dictionary of mapmakers, p. 582
- Subject Terms:
- Garrett, John -- Publisher.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Roads -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- [1677?].
YCBA Collections Search
Simons, Matthew, d. 1654, A direction for the English traviller , [1677?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.