A direction for the English traviller : by which he shal be inabled to coast about all England and Wales : and also to know how farre any market or noteable towne in any shire lyeth one from an other, and whether the same be east, west, north or south from ye shire towne : as also the distance betweene London, and any other shire or great town, with the scituation thereof east, west, north, or south from London : by the help also of this worke one may know (in what parish, village, or mansion house soeuer he be in) what shires he is to passe through & which way he is to trauell till he come to the journies end ...
- [London] : Are to be sold by Thomas Jenner at the South entrance of the Exchange, 1643.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves (some folded) : maps ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 S55 1643 copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 S55 1643 copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is a large paper copy (18 cm.) with only 4 double (and folded) leaves. Copy 2 (13 cm.) has leaves trimmed very close to plate marks and is bound so that all the plates are printed on double leaves. Also has bookplates of Thomas Wakeman and John Rolls, and is bound in calf with clasps.
Attributed to Mathew Simons by Tooley & Smith.
Tables of distance engraved by Jacob van Langeren.
Tables are reduced copies of those by John Norden published in: England, an intended guyde for English travailers (1625).--cf. Smith, p. 199.
Each table has small "thumb-nail" map at bottom right hand corner.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), D-1527
Smith, D. Antique maps, p. 199-201
Tooley's dictionary of mapmakers (1999-2004 edition) p. 582
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Jenner, Thomas, fl. 1631-1656 -- Publisher.Roads -- Great Britain.Rolls, John Welch -- Bookplate.Wakeman, Thomas -- Bookplate.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Simons, Matthew, d. 1654, A direction for the English traviller , 1643
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.