The history and antiquities of the county of Essex : compiled from the best and most ancient historians, from Domesday-book, Inquisitiones post mortem, and other the most valuable records and mss. &c. / the whole digested, improved, perfected, and brought down to the present time, by Philip Morant ; illustrated with copper plates.
- London : Printed for T. Osborne ..., J. Whiston ..., S. Baker ..., L. Davis and C. Reymers ... and B. White ..., 1768.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. (some folded), 9 maps, plan ; 48 x 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 E7 M8 1768+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates engraved by Thomas Bowen, J. Mynde, Benjamin Green, George Vertue, Larken, John Hakewill, Bland, Emanuel Bowen, Charles Mosley and Thomas White; after John Deane, Benjamin Green, Dunthorne, J. Kirby, E, Hamman, Thomas Olive and A. Baldrey.
Vol. 1 includes the author's History of Colchester (first published as a separate work in 1748) with special t.p.: The history and antiquities of the most ancient town and borough of Colchester : in three books ... The second edition, improved. London, 1768.
In double columns.
Upcott, W. English topography, v. 1. p. 224
- Subject Terms:
- Baker, S. -- Publisher.Colchester (England) -- History.Davis, L. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1768.Essex (England) -- Antiquities.Essex (England) -- History.Osborne, T. -- Publisher.Pepper, Michael -- Bookplate.Reymers, C. -- Publisher.Whiston, J. -- Publisher.White, B. -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Morant, Philip, 1700-1770, The history and antiquities of the county of Essex , 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.