A survey of the cities of London and Westminster : containing the original, antiquity, increase, modern estate and government of those cities / written at first in the year MDXCVIII ... since ... augmented by the author, and afterwards by A.M., H.D., and others ; now lastly corrected ... and ... brought down from ... 1633 ... to the present time by John Strype ... ; to which is prefixed the life of the author, writ by the editor ... added an appendix ... concerning the state of the city of London ...
- London : Printed for A. Churchill, J. Knapton, R. Knaplock, J. Walthoe, E. Horne, B. Tooke, D. Midwinter, B. Cowse, R. Robinson, and T. Ward, MDCCXX 
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., port., maps, plans ; 41 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 71View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View digital images from the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIR BByzL 88: Imperfect: all plates, except "The monument of Mr. John Stow ..." in v. 1, wanting. Added plate, "John Stowe, historian & antiquary ... Published May 10, 1792, by N. Smith ...," bound in at front of v. 1.
BAC Folio A D 71: BAC copy bound in contemporary calf.
BEIN 1977 +392: 38 cm. Imperfect: wormed, with no loss of text; v. 2, Book IV, p. 27-30 mutilated, with some loss of text; v. 2, Book VI, p. 80 mutilated, with some loss of printed pagination. Bookplate: Johannis Bunce. Presentation inscription to Thomas Stevens from Rich Ward, dated Sep. 1788.  leaves of plates ( folded).
Title in red and black.
Each of the 6 'books' has its own pagination, and is introduced by a drop-head title.
A separate t.p. in v. 2 reads: An appendix of certain tracts, discourses, and other remarks, concerning the State of the City of London. .. London: Printed in the year MDCCXX.
A.M., H.D. i.e. Anthony Monday, Henry Dyson.
Plates engraved by Johannes Kip.
First published as "A survay of London."
English short title catalogue, T48975
Subscriber's list: p. [xliii]-[xliv], v. 1.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Bunce, John Tackray, 1828-1899 -- Bookplate.London (England) -- Antiquities.London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- History -- 16th century.London (England) -- History -- 17th century.Stevens, Thomas -- Presentation inscription from R. Ward.Streatfeild family -- Bookplate (BAC).Ward, Richard -- Presentation inscription to T. Stevens.
- Subscription lists (Publishing) -- England -- London -- 1720.
Etchings -- 1720.
Engravings -- 1720.
YCBA Collections Search
Stow, John, 1525?-1605, A survey of the cities of London and Westminster , MDCCXX 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.