Moral emblems : with aphorisms, adages, and proverbs, of all ages and nations / from Jacob Cats and Robert Farlie ; with illustrations freely rendered, from designs found in their works, by John Leighton ... ; the whole translated and edited, with additions, by Richard Pigot ...
- London : Longman, Green, Longman and Roberts, 1860.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 239 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPT5626.E5 P5 1860+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Bound in red publisher's cloth, stamped in black and gold.
Binding signed JL (i.e. John Leighton).
Binder's ticket: Edmonds & Remnants, London.
Plates engraved by Thomas Bolton, Dalziel, De Wilde, Edmund Evans, W.T. Green, Horace Harral, Mason Jackson, Henry Leighton, [Frederick James?] Smythe [i.e. Smyth], Joseph Swain, William Luson Thomas, and Josiah Wood Whimper; after designs by John Leighton.
"The original designs of Adrian van de Venne, in a few instances only, have been deviated from." - Intro., p. xii.
Printed by Richard Clay.
- Subject Terms:
- Clay, Richard -- Printer.Edmonds & Remnants -- Bookbinder.Emblems.Fry, Clements Collard, 1892-1955. -- Ownership (med copy).Leighton, John, 1822-1912, binding designer.Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1860.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.