The history of England / written in French by Mr. Rapin de Thoyras ; translated into English, with additional notes, by N. Tindal ...
- Additional Title(s):
Histoire d'Angleterre. English
- The third edition. Illustrated with maps, genealogical tables, and the heads and monuments, of the kings, engraven on seventy seven copper plates.
- London : Printed for John and Paul Knapton ... , 1743-1747.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. in 5 : ill., geneal. tables, maps, ports. 40 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 74 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 74 Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 2 is incomplete: v.3-4 wanting.
Plates engraved by Gilles Edmé Petit, George Vertue, Claude Du Bosc, Jacobus van der Schley, Pieter Yver, Jacobus Houbraken, G. [i.e. Louis Gérard] Scotin, Charles Grignion, Hubert François Gravelot, J. Kerseboom, Richard William Seale, Simon François Ravenet, J. Mynde, and James Basire; after [Sebastien?] Bourdon, Hubert François Gravelot, George Vertue, Titian, Isaac Oliver, Luc de Heere, Paul van Somer, Anthonie Van Dyck, Peter Lely, Godfrey Kneller, Martin Maingaud, [Thomas?] Gibson, William Aikman, John Vanderbank, and Arthur Pond.
Title-page in red and black.
Title vignettes; initials; tail-pieces.
Vols. 1-2 only of the third edition; v. 4 in 2 vols., each with separate paging.
Vols. 3-4 have title: The history of England, by Mr. Rapin de Thoyras. Continued from the revolution to the accession of King George II by N. Tindal. 1744-1747.
"The metallic history of the last three reigns": v.3., iv, 40 p. at end; v.4, pt. 2, 22 p.
Spine title: Rapin's history of England.
A summary of the history of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the death of George I: 274 p. at end of v. 4.
Advertisement: v.2, p. -18 at end.
Includes bibliographical references, and index (v. 5).
- Subject Terms:
- Brereton, T., Rev. -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1743-1747.Great Britain -- History.Knapton, John and Paul -- Publisher.Medals -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
Rapin de Thoyras, M. (Paul), 1661-1725, The history of England , 1743-1747
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.