IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Packe, Christopher, 1686-1749, A dissertation upon the surface of the earth as delineated in a specimen of a philosophico-chorographical chart of East-Kent , 1737
A dissertation upon the surface of the earth as delineated in a specimen of a philosophico-chorographical chart of East-Kent : herewith humbly presented to, and read before the Royal Society, Nov. 25, 1736 : in a letter to Cromwel Mortimer ... / by Christopher Packe ...
- London : Printed for J. Roberts, near the Oxford-Arms in Warwick-Lane, 1737.
- Physical Description:
- 18 p.,  folded leaf of plates : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5753 K4 P3 1743+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- This copy includes 2 copies of the folded plate, "A specimen of a philosophico-chorographical chart of East-Kent." One is printed in green, the other in brown. Both have some added hand-coloring in green. See p. 109 in Packe's Ankographia for discussion of the difficulties of printing in colors.
Bound with: Ankographia, sive, convallium descriptio / Christopher Packe. Canterbury : J. Abree, 1743.
Cased with the map: A new philosophico chorographical chart of East-Kent / Christopher Packe. [S.l.] : C. Packe, 1743.
Genealogical material relating to Christopher Packe has been placed in the Object File. It includes a legal document on vellum dated 1690 & labeled "Herbert Randolph's additional settlement on his wife." Randolph was Packe's father.
This copy belonged to Sir Richard Colt Hoare & was sold at the Stourhead House library auction Aug. 3, 1883 (lot no. 1094).
- Subject Terms:
- Cock, F. William -- Bookplate.Earth -- Surface.Geography -- England -- Kent -- 17th-18th centuries.Hoare, Richard Colt, Sir, 1758-1838 -- Provenance.Kent (England) -- Description and travel.Pembroke, G. P. A. -- Autograph.Physical geography -- England -- Kent.Stourhead (England). Library -- Provenance.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.