Smith, William, 1769-1847, A delineation of the strata of England and Wales, with part of Scotland , 1815
- A delineation of the strata of England and Wales, with part of Scotland : exhibiting the collieries and mines, the marshes and fen lands originally overflowed by the sea, and the varieties of soil according to the variations in the substrata : illustrated by the most descriptive names / by W. Smith ...
- London : J. Cary, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (, 14 leaves) : hand col. maps ; 56 x 69 cm. + 1 book (ix, , 51 p.,  folded leaves of plates ; 26 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B G 3 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B G 3 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is bound as described above. It is accompanied by the Memoir.
BAC: Copy 2 has the map on 3 sheets mounted on linen and in case, also as issued (cf. D. Smith). Index map and Memoir are wanting.
BAC: Fourth issue. Signed in pen and ink at bottom: Wm. Smith, b. 24
Together the 14 leaves make up one map.
Accompanied by: A memoir to the map and delineation of the strata of England and Wales, with part of Scotland / by William Smith. London : John Cary, 1815.
Smith, D. Victorian maps, p. 46, 60
Eyles, J. M. William Smith (1769-1839): A bibliography of his published writings, maps and geological section, printed and lithographed. Journal of the Society for the Bibliography of Natural History, 5, 87-109
- Subject Terms:
- Cary, John -- PublisherEngraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1815Geology -- Great Britain -- Maps.Geology -- Great Britain.Geology, Stratigraphic.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.